• Becker HallConstructed in 1937, the Florence H. Becker Recreation Hall was named in honor of Mrs. William A. Becker, President General, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. The vertically placed pine logs used in the construction of the building were cut from Gunter Mountain Forests. Becker Hall, or the "Old Gym", as it is referred to locally, houses physical education classes for grades kindergarten through 4th grade, is home to choral performances, band concerts, and kindergarten graduation.
  • Burkey CenterThe Olivia P. and Noel A. Burkey Center was dedicated in 2003 as the first KDS facility built as a joint effort between the DAR and the Marshall County Board of Education. Included in the building are a gymnasium, four regular classrooms, a spacious Family and Consumer Science department, art classroom, band room, and choral room. In addition to everyday school activities, the Burkey Center gym is home to graduation exercises and Dedication Day programs
  • Lane ChapelBuilt in 1957 of native sand stone with a marble cornerstone and a marble nameplate above the door, the Nan Roberts Lane Chapel is a non-denominational chapel. Lane Chapel is the fulfillment of the dream of Mrs. James Henry Lane, founder and first president of the Alabama Officers Club. With a seating capacity of 150, it is available and has been used many times for weddings, christenings, funerals, and other special occasions. The first christening held there was that of Kate Duncan Smith III, great granddaughter of Kate Duncan Smith for whom the school is named. The parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. Morgan Smith, II brought their baby from Birmingham on May 8, 1959 to have the christening in Lane Chapel.
  • Doris Pike White GymnasiumBuilt as an all states project in 1961, the Doris Pike White Gymnasium was named in honor of Honorary President General, Mrs. Ashmead White. It is home to middle school gym classes, basketball games, and volleyball.
  • KDS Middle SchoolThe Bernice Robbins Estes Classroom Building was built in 1988-89 and is named for Bernice Robbins Estes, Honorary Board Chairman, KDS Board of Trustees. This building was joined with the Jeanette Osborn Baylies Building, named for Honorary President General, Mrs. George Upham Baylies Building, which was built in 1978. Together, these hold the classrooms of grades 5 through 8.
  • Minor Practice CottageJust as the name implies, the Minor Practice Cottage was a place for Home Economics students to spend time putting what they had learned into practice. Built in 1935, it now serves as a residence for a faculty member.
  • VFW Memorial
  • Helen Pouch BuildingThe Helen Pouch Building was constructed in 1946 as a lunchroom. In 1994, it was rededicated as a classroom building and became home to the kindergarten classes. When kindergarten was moved to the Primary Building in 2003, the Pouch Building became a classroom building. Today, it is home to the school's health clinic, the elementary art department, and the Learning Resource Center.
  • Harriett K. Privett BuildingConstructed in 1934, the Harriett K. Privett Library originally was home to the Home Economics Department. In 1977, it was converted to junior high classrooms. In 1983, it became the the music complex. It was renovated by the Alabama Officers Club in 1988 and dedicated as the Harriett K. Privett Library and is home to the elementary media center.
  • Michigan Craft CenterThe Michigan Craft Center was built in 1955 and served as the art department for the entire school until 1994. In 1995, it was remodeled for use as a reception hall and is available for weddings, bridal teas, baby showers, etc.
  • Pennsylvania Log CabinBuilt in 1935 by local folks in two days during an old fashioned "house raising", the Pennsylvania Log Cabin served as the school library. In 1970, upon completion of the Seimes Thomas Building's new library, the log building was converted to an office complex for the Administration Office and served as such until 2002. Furnished with antiques donated by DAR from around the country, the log building also contains memorabilia and pictures from school days past.
  • Louise Willison Jacobs BuildingThe Jacobs Building holds the original 4 classrooms and auditorium constructed in 1924. Three additions sere added in the 1930's and 1940's. Extensive renovation was done in 1975, and the facility was dedicated as the Louise Willson Jacobs Building on May 21, 1978. This view shows the original front of the school. It looks very much the same today as it looked in 1924.
Becker Hall1 Burkey Center2 Lane Chapel3 Doris Pike White Gymnasium4 KDS Middle School5 Minor Practice Cottage6 VFW Memorial7 Helen Pouch Building8 Harriett K. Privett Building9 Michigan Craft Center10 Pennsylvania Log Cabin11 Louise Willison Jacobs Building12
HTML Image Scroller by WOWSlider.com v2.4