Slider

Campus Map Legend

  1. The Pennsylvania Log Cabin was constructed by local folks in 1935 in one of Alabama's last old fashioned "house raisings." Originally built as a library and later used as the Administrative Office, today the log cabin is being used as an area archives and museum for historical documents, antiques and photos.
     
  2. The Scenic Overlook was established in 2004 by a Town of Grant Beautification Board Project. It overlooks Kennamer Cove, serves as a beautiful backdrop for photos and is a popular spot among area visitors.
     
  3. The Michigan State Society NSDAR, constructed the Michigan Arts & Crafts Building as a facility where the women of the mountain and students of the school could be trained to profitably use their hands. The building served as a craft center until 1994 when another building was renovated to house art classes. The Michigan Center, as it is known locally, is now used as a rental facility for wedding receptions and other special events and as a meeting place for local groups and organizations.
     
  4. Built in 1957 by the Alabama Officer's Club, DAR, to address the spiritual needs of the community, the Nan Roberts Lane Chapel is a popular venue for weddings and events.
     
  5. Georgia Park was constructed in 2000 as a project of the State Regent of the Georgia State Society, NSDAR, and an outdoor gathering place.
     
  6. Becker Hall, the world's largest vertical log structure still in use, was built in 1937 as an all-states project of the DAR. Today, this facility is a gymnasium used on a daily basis for elementary physical education classes and is also host to various school performances and programs.
     
  7. Constructed in 1937, Samsa Administration Building was at the time named Munson Cottage for Marion Munson of Connecticut. The Cottage was for many years the residence of the school's Executive Secretary (what is today known as the Executive Director). It was converted to use as the Executive Director's office in 2002. A fire destroyed the building in 2005. It was then rebuilt and rededicated in 2007 as the Samsa-Munson Administration Building.
      
  8. Rexer Memorial Cottage was built in 1954 as a bequest of the estate of Winnie Doan Rexer of Ohio. It is used as a faculty residence.
     
  9. The Helen Pouch Building was constructed as the school lunchroom in 1946 through a gift of Mr. and Mrs. William H. Pouch of New York. It was named for their daughter. The building was renovated and rededicated as a classroom building in 1994. Today it houses the office of the school nurse, Learning Resource Center classes, and elementary art and music classes.
     
  10. The Pennsylvania Water Tower was constructed in 1937 by Mr. & Mrs. H.D. Sheppard of Pennsylvania in an effort to secure a sufficient water supply for the school. The 5,000 gallon storage tank provided drinking water for the students for a number of years until "city water" became available. It was converted to a bell tower in 1973. Today, the Carillon Bell speaker system is housed in the tower and greets the students and faculty each day with patriotic and seasonal music. It is referred to locally as "the bell tower".
     
  11. The Louise Willson Jacobs Building, also known as the "Old Main" building, was built in 1924 from native stone and timbers donated by mountain residents. The original structure housed four classrooms and an office. Though there have been a number of changes to the building including three additions in the 1930's and 1940's and an extensive renovation in 1975, the original portion of the building remains largely the same. The building was dedicated as the Louise Willson Jacobs Building May 21, 1978. Mrs Jacobs was from Scottsboro and served as Chairman of the KDS Board of Trustees from 1950-1976. The Jacobs Building is home to grades 2 through 4 today.
     
  12. The Gary Wiggins Cox Primary Building was built in 1949 to commemorate the school's 25th anniversary. An additional seven classrooms were built as an addition in 1964, and the building underwent and extensive renovation in 1999. It was officially named the Gary Wiggins Cox Primary Building in 2011 in honor of an Honorary Chairman of the KDS Board of Trustees.
     
  13. The Harriet K. Privett Library building has served many purposes over the years. It was constructed in 1934 as a Home Economics and Science Lab. In 1977, the building was renovated for use as Junior High classrooms. It was converted to a music complex in 1983 and housed the band and choral departments. The building was then remodeled by the Alabama Officers' Club, DAR, and dedicated as the Harriet Kinnaird Privett Library in 1988. An extensive interior renovation, sponsored by Iowa Daughters, was completed in 2008.
      
  14. Minor Practice Cottage was built in 1935 and named for Ann Rogers Minor of Connecticut. It served as the residence of the school's home economics teacher and as a practice cottage for home economics teacher and as a practice cottage for home economics students. The girls in the class would take turns staying in the home and practicing skills such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. When boys started taking home economics classes in the early 1980's the cottage was no longer used for practice. Today it is used as a faculty residence.
     
  15. The Indiana and Ohio State Societies of the DAR Constructed the Indiana-Ohio Playground in 1995. This area is used primarily by elememtary school students for physical education classes, In 2008, the fencing surrounding the playground was sponsored by the Indiana DAR and the Maryland State Society.
     
  16. The KDS Maintenance Shop, officially called the Blanch & Katherine Zimmerman Storage Building, was constructed in 1959. Adjacent to the Maintenance Shop are the National Junior Membership Storage Shed, built in 1992; Prairie State Hay Barn (Illinois), built in 1993; and the Louisa St. Clair Chapter Pole Barn (Michigan), built in 1997.
     
  17. The current KDS School Greenhouse was built as an Alabama State Regent's Project in 1992. The Greenhouse serves as a learning laboratory for science classes, but is primarily used to grow plants, shrubs, and trees for the 240-acre school campus.
     
  18. Built in 1957, the Agri-Science Building was constructed as a Several States Project. It still houses Ag classes today.
     
  19. The DAR Lunchroom was built by the Marshall County Board of Education with the support of DAR sponsors from across the country. It was completed in 1994.
     
  20. Middle School classes are housed in the Bernice Robbins Estes Classroom Building, which was constructed in 1989. The building was named for an Honorary Board Chairman of the KDS School Board of Trustees.
     
  21. The Jeanette Osborn Baylies Building was an All-States Project that was completed in 1978 and today houses Middle School classes. It was named for Honorary President General, NSDAR, Mrs. George Upham Baylies.
      
  22. Built in 1971, the Seimes-Thomas Classroom Building was a National School Project of the NSDAR. It was named in honor of Honorary President General Mrs. Erwin Frees Seimes and National School Chairman Miss Amanda Thomas. The building today houses the High School Library, High School and Middle School classrooms.
     
  23. The Doris Pike White Gymnasium is used for Middle School physical education classes and athletic events. It was constructed in 1961 as an All-States DAR Project.
     
  24. The Texas Duplex was built in 1964 and houses two-bedroom faculty residences.
     
  25. The Yochim Outdoor Basketball Court was given in 1992 by the National Junior Membership Committee in honor of Marie H. Yochim, President General, NSDAR, 1989-1992. It was moved to its present location in 2007.
     
  26. Built in 2003 by the Marshall County Board of Education, the Olivia P. & Noel A. Burkey Center houses the High School Gymnasium and several classrooms including Choral and Band. The High School Art and Family & Consumer Sciences Departments were sponsored by DAR.
     
  27. Marie Hirst Yochim Classroom Building was completed in 2011 and houses High School classes. This 10-classroom building was built with funds from the Marshall County Board of Education and DAR sponsors. It was named in honor of an Honorary President General of NSDAR.
     
  28. The Alice Hairston Geron Cottage was built in 1965 as a project of the Alabama State Society, NSDAR. It is used as a faculty residence.
     
  29. Jamison Cottage was constructed in 1973 with funds from the estate of a past National Chairman of the DAR School Committee, Mrs. Harry Jamison of Florida. It is used as a faculty residence.
     
  30. The Aebly-Howard Cottage was built in 1964 in honor of Mrs. Lyle J. Howland, State Regent of New York, and Mrs. Fred Aebly, member of the KDS Board of Trustees from New York. It is used as a faculty residence.
     
  31. Prior to the school's purchase of the Headstart Building in 1971, it was a church. Since that time it was used as an Activities Building and the Thrift Store until 2000 when it became the location of the community's Headstart program for children.
  32. Nell Fallaw Cottage was built in 1963 as an Alabama State Regent's Project. Today it ist the residence of the KDS Executive Director.
  33. Schlosser Cottage was constructed in 1940 by the Indiana DAR. It is used as a faculty residence.
  34. The New York Cuff Cottage, a duplex apartment built for young married teachers, was completed in 1961. It is called the "Cuff Cottage" in honor of Mrs. Frank B. Cuff, Corresponding Secretary General, NSDAR, 1962-65, and New York State Regent at the time the project was completed.
  35. The KDS women's Softball Field was constructed in 1996 as a project of the Alabama State Society DAR in honor of Mrs. Arnold E. Briglia, State Regent 1995-98.
  36. The KDS men's Baseball Field was constructed in 1970 as a gift of the Louisa St. Clair Chapter, NSDAR, of Michigan.
  37. The KDS Football Stadium, Fieldhouse, and Track were built by the Marshall County Board of  Education in 2006.
  38. The National Junior Membership Committee of the DAR constructed the Junior Membership Athletic Complex in 2008. The building houses locker rooms for the baseball and softball teams as well as restrooms and a concession stand for sporting events.
  39. The Presley M. Wagoner Tennis Courts were dedicated in 2007. This project of the National Junior Membership Committee was named in honor of Presley M. Wagoner, President General, NSDAR, 2004-2007. Mrs. Wagoner is also a past national chairman of the Junior Membership Committee.